Thursday, October 27, 2011

Time to Retire

My girl is getting bigger.  She is outgrowing her clothes on a daily basis.  Most of the time it is no big deal.  Clothes move to the garage where they will eventually be gathered up and donated.

Sometimes a little more ceremony is in order.

Haley has outgrown her Cowgirl Shirt.

Haley's Grandma C gave her the shirt for her birthday about four years ago.  It is really nice.  It has sparkly snaps.  It is a really pretty color.  It looks good on Haley.

The Hat was a gift in a previous year.



Haley has worn her western shirt only a few times, but those times were memorable. 

She wore it when she competed in the Special Kids Rodeo at our county fair.  This is a rodeo that Haley participated in for five years.  My mom told me about it because it was put on by a organization that she belongs to.  We had also heard about it through the stable where Haley did her therapeutic riding.

The concept is that each child is paired with a Cowboy.  That cowboy takes the child they are paired with through five events, each designed after actual rodeo events.  The first year we participated was quite nerve racking for me.  Haley went off with this cowboy and we were supposed to sit in the stands.  I am sure you can imagine my trepidation.

That first year that Haley was involved in the Special Kids Rodeo she took home the coveted "Best All Around Cowgirl" award.  She has gotten a trophy every year for participating, but that first year her name was put on the giant trophy that resides at the fairgrounds. 

It was really cool.



She didn't dress up for every rodeo, but the last one that she was able to compete in she did.  She wore the Cowgirl Shirt.  I couldn't be there for that one, but her Dad took pictures as always.

Sawhorse Roping

Goat Tail Un-Tying

Stick Horse Racing

Wheel Barrow Racing

Barrel Racing on a real horse
(Haley's Favorite)

She also dressed as a Cowgirl that year for Halloween.

Last week at the girls' school was spirit week.  One of the days was Western Day.  We got out the Cowgirl Shirt and planned her outfit around it.  I put it on her and realized that the time had come.  I had to take it back off and put a shirt under it, because I was afraid the snaps might pop open at some point during the day.  I also had to roll up the sleeves because they were too short. 

Haley cannot stand it when a long sleeve doesn't reach her wrists.   I was a little worried that she wouldn't like them rolled up either, but she seemed OK with it.

I sent her out the door in the Cowgirl Shirt one last time knowing that when we took it off that night the next stop for the shirt after it was laundered would be the sack in the garage destined for donation.

It was a sad day for me, but I don't think Haley will miss it all that much. 

She has a lot of clothes.  Most of the time I can't even close her dresser drawers. 

Lucky for me I have the pictures.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...