Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Should I be worried?

Since Haley was very small she has loved to watch videos.  I would love to be able to say "When she was three..." but I can't.  As I sit here I have remembrances of Haley but I couldn't tell you how old she was when she did things. 

I haven't been very good about documenting Haley's life up until now.  Her baby book is empty.  In my defense it isn't because I didn't want to fill it out, she didn't have all of the little milestones that parents can record in her first year.  Haley didn't roll over at four months like her sister.  She didn't crawl before she turned one.  She didn't actually walk until she was two and half, and that she did in therapy so I didn't even have a camera or camcorder with me to capture it.  My memories are scattered so I will do my best to guess, but that is all they are; guesses.

Anyway, for as long as I can remember Haley has loved to watch videos and it was at a very early age that I realized that Haley is partial to villains.  I remember watching Lion King with her for the first time.  I was a little worried because it can be kind of scary (like most Disney cartoons) and I wasn't sure how she would react.  Imagine my surprise at her reaction to Scar, she loved him.  She would laugh when he was on the screen, I would almost say cackle.  The first scene that we meet Scar he grabs the poor mouse and lifts him up to taunt him, she loves that scene.  Later on in the movie when he is doing the same thing to his brother before he throws him from a cliff she also cackles.

That is not her only favorite character.  Haley loves Cruella De Ville.  She loves her in the cartoon as well as in the live action versions.  I will admit that I think Glenn Close did a phenomenal job in that role, but I really think that she is one of Haley's favorite characters.  When I say favorite that is not an easy thing to qualify.  Haley doesn't really seem to get the concept of "favorite."  We have asked her to name her favorite food, color, toy, drink, cereal, train engine, you name it, she just gives us a blank look.  I am basing my assumption that these characters are her favorites by her reactions to them, also the fact that she will actively seek them out not only on her videos, but also on YouTube (which is a subject for another day.)

Some of her other favorites are; Tzekel-Kan in The Road to El Dorado, the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, the grasshopper in a bug's life, Hades in Hercules, the wicked queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty.  Haley is a very gentle person.  She pets animals with care.  She likes to give her toys loves and kisses.  I don't know about this darker side.  Should I be worried?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...