Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Encouraging Words

Amazingly I have spent most of the last three days sitting here working on the computer and yet I haven't sent a single blog post...

I am really enjoying a new sense of freedom and empowerment that comes from a child who understands me and responds accordingly.  I am able to say things like "Go to the bathroom, please."  or "Go upstairs and get dressed." or "Pick up your Barbie clothes, please."

And she does it!

It started out simply enough.  I asked Haley to go to the bathroom.  She walked into the bathroom, turned on the light and shut the door.  I stood there with my mouth gaping open staring at the closed door.  I listened.  I heard the sound of the lid being lifted.  I heard the sound of her pull-ups being pulled-down.  Quiet...then I heard a little tinkle, tinkle.  I was getting excited...then I heard "Done."

Oh.

She wasn't really "done," but it was encouraging.

From the other side of the door I said "Do you need help?"  She said "Yeah."  So I went in.  I helped her wipe and take her pants all the way off and put on a new pull-up.  I think if the pull-up hadn't been wet she would have just pulled her pants back up.  I know she can do that.

The other day (on a whim) I asked Haley to go upstairs and get dressed.  I went about my business downstairs.  Time passed.  Then from the top of the stairs I heard her Dad praising her and asking me if I knew what she was doing.  I had some idea of what she was doing, but I went upstairs to see what was going on. 

Haley was wearing pants. 

That's it.  She was carrying her bra and her top and she was heading down the stairs to find me.  I think my husband was a bit taken aback by the situation, but I was thrilled.

I have been using my new found freedom a lot lately.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  When it works it is really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...