Friday, April 27, 2012

Independence can Backfire

Lately, I have been experimenting with different types of "incontinence protection" as the Department of Developmental Disabilities puts it.

Haley is too big for the L/XL Goodnights pull-ups that we have been using.  They are tight on her and sometimes when I am pulling them up her legs they rip.  I have even put my finger through the sides on occasion, but that may have been due to the fact that I needed a manicure.

She is outgrowing them for other reasons besides size.  They just don't offer her enough protection, so to speak.

I bought several brands of adult incontinence protection products a month ago and we have been testing them.  At first the testing was rather difficult.  Nothing seemed to work.  Then I decided that part of the problem was that Haley was just drinking too much.  It was kind of a "look for the root of the problem" thing.

So I started limiting her intake and then we settled on our current plan.

She wears the Goodnights to school and then I put her in Depends at night.

I chose to leave her in the Goodnights because the school is better at taking her to the bathroom on schedule than I am and they fit her better.  The Depends have a lot of extra material that shows through Haley's pants.  When she wears the Goodnights it looks like she isn't wearing them, unless they sneak up past the waistband, which they do on occasion.

I was able to find Unisex Depends with adjustable velcro sides.  That was great.  Even though the smalls are still way to big for her I could pull the velcro straps as far as they would go and they fit a lot better.  The adjustable sides make them easier to put on and take off too.  We used them on our trip to Montana and it made going to the rest areas so much more convenient.

So here's the problem.  The stores that I have been shopping at have stopped carrying the adjustable Depends.  I have been all over town.  They are gone.  I have only been able to find small Depends for women and they are too big for Haley.  There is way to much fabric and she leaks through them, or around them to be technically correct.

So Haley has been wearing the Goodnights to bed again.

There is another problem.

She has been getting her own drinks lately.  I taught her to get a drink of water at night if she is thirsty, because I didn't want to give her a full glass of Nesquik or orange juice.  Next thing I knew she was getting herself a glass of water whenever she wanted to.  Occasionally during the day I would hear the cupboard close and the water run.

I was so proud.

She chooses her own glass.  So she started choosing the one we got at the zoo, probably because it has a lion on it.  That glass holds 32 ounces of liquid.

She started putting a straw in it.  She tends to drink a lot more through a straw then when she sips.

Note that I taught her to use a small plastic glass and to sip it.

So when I got her a glass of Nesquik or orange juice I knew what she had and when she had it.

I had some control.

Now, with a little bit of independence she is drinking 32 ounces of water at a time, quickly.  And I don't always know when.  Last night I think she had more than one.

Haley woke me up at 2:00 am.

She was soaked from head to toe.  Her bed was soaked.  She has a water proof pad on her bed.  It didn't handle it.  Even her pillow was wet.

I had no choice but to make a bed for her on the floor with some blankets.

She got up about a half an hour after I put her in her makeshift bed.  She went downstairs and turned on her laptop.  I went down and got her and put her back to bed.  I don't know if she slept very well on the floor.  She was up when I got up this morning.

So I will have to watch her a little closer from now on.

Independence can backfire.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...