Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Home again, home again...

On our last day at the Disneyland Resort we slept in again and then had room service deliver our breakfast.  It was so good.  I just have to say that the Disneyland Resort knows how to cook bacon perfectly.  I ate bacon at almost every meal, it was great!

Everyone was packing up so Haley caught on really quick that we were going home.  She was so excited.  She started talking about our cat Shadow.  She wanted to see him.  She wanted to pet him.  She wanted to have a Shadow Lap.

The security line at the John Wayne Airport was much shorter than it had been at PDX.  As my family went through security I was concentrating on helping Haley take off her sandals and put them in a bin along with her purse and her jacket and then I did the same with my things. 

I turned around and looked ahead of us and realized that they had a full body scanner.  I watched as people put there arms up in the air as the scanner circled their bodies.  My Mom turned and gave me a look and I shrugged.  I thought of the different scenerios that could occur, none of them good. 

Haley and I walked closer. 

The TSO smiled and walked toward me and said "Will she be able to put her arms up like this?" and showed me what was expected.

I said "I don't really know, she might get upset." 

He told us to step out of the line and went to talk to the other officers.  It took them quite a while to discuss it and then he came back to us.  He removed a barrier that revealed the "old fashioned" scanner and then walked through it himself.  He motioned for us to follow him.  I told Haley to follow him and she did and then I joined them. 

I thanked him several times.  It was really nice to have him recognize and accommodate her limitations with such care and courtesy.  It actually brings tears to my eyes as I remember it.  My husband was at the end of the line waiting with our stuff.  I helped Haley get her shoes back on and we headed for our gate.

Haley is really a good traveller.  She took to flying like she had been doing it every day of her life.  She did much better than I did.  I had to really focus on not showing my discomfort because I didn't want her to sense that I felt anything was amiss.  I don't hate  flying, but I do get a little claustrophobic and I am never completely comfortable.  I usually spend most of any flight praying. 

Our flight back was good and we made it home without incident.  I didn't feel like cooking (or coming back to reality) yet so we went to Olive Garden for dinner.  We had a nice dinner and then finally returned home.  Haley immediately sat on the couch and asked for Shadow.  We spent the rest of the evening watching TV and petting our cat.

I had a great time in California and I think everyone in my family did as well.

I want to go back.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...