Saturday, December 18, 2010

Chocolate Balls

Today we made chocolate balls.  My husband's Mom has made chocolate balls at Christmastime for as long as he can remember.  We enjoyed hers for several years and then we respectfully requested the recipe.

There is quite a process involved in making chocolate balls, it is kind of like a production line.  My husband and I made them together for years and then Haley's Big Sis joined in the fun when she was old enough.  This year Haley wanted to help too.

My husband measured out the ingredients that consist of graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, peanut butter, margarine, coconut and chopped nuts and Big Sis mixed them together. We gathered around our tall round bar table and began to roll the mixture into balls.  Haley stood there expectantly dramatically sniffing the mixture and proclaiming that it "Smells good."  Her Dad asked her if she wanted to help roll them into balls and she actually jumped up and down excitedly and said "Yeah!"

I took a bit of the mixture and worked it together so that it wouldn't fall apart in her hands and then I handed it to her.  As she started smashing it between her palms I got a little into my hands and showed her how to rub her hands together to form a ball.  She was using a little too much force so I made her another one and then I held her two hands and helped her to gently roll the dough.  When a ball formed I told her that she had done it and she place it on the waxed paper.  She was thrilled.

I asked her if she wanted to do it again and she said "yeah."  I picked up some more dough and out of habit I created a ball and handed it to her.  She immediately set it on the waxed paper, having judged it complete.  That became our process.  I would roll a ball for her and she would place it down next to the others.  She had a great time and when all of the balls were formed she wanted me to help her wash her hands.

My husband took the tray to the refrigerator and Haley opened the door for him.

Later after the balls had chilled my husband began the process of melting the chocolate coating.  Haley's Big Sis added the chocolate and supervised from then on.  Haley would come by now and then and check on the process.  At one point we needed a spoon and Haley went to the drawer to get one for us.  She really was a big help.

We had a lot of fun this year putting together our favorite Christmastime treat.  All four of us did it together. 

Yet another tradition has changed, for the better.

1 comment:

  1. She was a huge help! The thing that impresses me the most is she stuck around and looked for something to help with. Good times!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...