Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Year Without a Santa Claus

Spoiler Alert:  If you believe that Santa Claus comes down your chimney and puts all of the presents under the tree and in your stocking you should probably stop reading this post and go get yourself a nice eggnog.





Our Christmas Eve's go something like this, we have dinner and then we open one present each.  That present is almost always a pair of pajamas.  This is also a tradition that came from my childhood family traditions.  We put our new pajamas on and then before bed we read The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore.  I wrote about that tradition on this post.

A couple of years ago we added something to our Christmas Eve.  I rented a movie that had come out in 2006 called The Nativity Story.  If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. 

After we get our pajamas on we watch The Nativity Story and then we read The Night Before Christmas and then we go to bed.

I don't.  I put Haley in bed and then I go to church.

I play hand bells in our church choir and I always go to the Christmas Eve service at 10:00PM.  It is a time for me to truly reflect on why we celebrate this holiday.  It is a candlelight service and it is beautiful. 

I enjoy it. 

I hug everyone before I leave and then I come home and get the presents out from their hiding places in the garage and I put them under the tree.  I fill the stockings and then I go to bed.

Last year after I had made about six trips back and forth from the garage to the living room carefully, quietly placing the presents under the tree and filling the stockings I was coming in to the house for the last time when I heard a small sound like the coo of a dove...

I looked up and there was Haley looking at me over the low wall at the top of the stairs.  I smiled at her and then went upstairs and gently nudged her back in to her room.  I covered her up and gave her a kiss and closed her door.

I breathed a sigh and went to bed.

After the festivities the next morning Haley's Big Sis came up to me.  She gave me a sheepish look and said "I saw Santa Claus last night."

"You did?"

"Yep."  She said.

So the cat is out of the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...