Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Baby is Sick

Haley is in bed asleep and the bus will be here in a few minutes.  I will have to go out and tell the driver that Haley isn't going to school today.

She woke me up at 2:00 AM and just wanted to be put back in bed.  She was cold.  There was nothing unusual about that, it happens all the time.

Then at 3:00 AM she woke me up again and headed to the bathroom.

That is when all of the trouble started.  What began as a pretty routine thing ended with a full on bath and change of pajamas.  I just kept apologizing to her.  "Honey, I am sorry.  I'm sorry that you are cold.  I'm sorry that it is taking so long to clean you up.  I am sorry."

If I could have taken it all upon myself, just to take it away from her I would have.  Haley hasn't been sick like that in at least six years, maybe longer.  I remember nursing a little kid that was barely three feet long laying on the couch.

I put her back in bed and tucked her in and rubbed her back for a while.  I asked her if she was feeling any better.  She said "better."  She gave me the weakest, saddest little smile.

I went back to bed, but I couldn't sleep.  I just kept lying there in full alert mode, listening for any sound that she was getting up again.  I felt bad for about an hour until I realized that my husband was not in the bed with me.  I relaxed a little then, because I was at least not keeping him awake, but I never really got very good sleep.

Haley woke up again about the normal time and we did it all over again.

I put her back in bed.  I hope she sleeps for a while.  I don't know what the day will bring but I know one thing.  Haley and I are not going anywhere today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...