Sunday, August 14, 2011

How many?

Haley is constantly snacking.  Constantly.  Snacking.

Sometimes she gets her own snacks.  Sometimes she just needs me to open a package or unscrew a lid.

Earlier she brought me the box of crackers and the Nutella.  She needs a little more help with this snack.  She needs me to spread the Nutella on the crackers for her.

I have been working on getting her to do things for herself this summer.  Especially in the potty training area, but all aspects of her life really.

I have also been trying to get her to understand numbers.  Specifically counting how many days it will be until we go to Grandma and Grandpa's, because I Did It Again. We count on the calendar.  We count on her paper chain her sister made.  When she starts talking about it I ask her how many days are left.  She doesn't answer. 

She doesn't get it.

Still I try.

So instead of mindlessly putting Nutella on some crackers I asked her how many she wanted.

"One," she said.

I put one cracker on the plate.  She gave me a strange look.



"Two."

I put another cracker on the plate.


"Three."

I put another cracker on the plate.

"Two."

I took a cracker off of the plate. 





That got a reaction!  She gave me a look like she thought I was insane.

"Three."

I put a third cracker on the plate.  Then she started to get upset.

"One."

"Do you mean one more?"

"Yeah."

I put a fourth cracker on the plate.

"One," she said.

"Do you mean one more?"

"Yeah."

I put another cracker on the plate and looked at her. 

"Is that good?" I said.




"Yeah."

I wonder how long it will take before she gets this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...