Monday, October 29, 2012

I Must Confess

Mom confession:  Some days I am so thankful that I can put my daughter on that school bus.

Today was one of those days.

Haley has been short tempered all weekend.  She spent a good portion of Sunday growling (?) groaning (?) moaning (?) bitching under her breath.  It is hard to describe the sound that she makes, but it is not hard to discern the intent.  She is not happy with the status quo and she wants everyone in the house to know about it.

I have no idea what set her off.

Everything seemed fine as far as I could tell.  The thing with her is that she can't tell me the reason and it could be that she doesn't feel well, I did something to upset her, I didn't do something that she expected or maybe she just got up on the wrong side of the bed. 

There is only one side, by the way.

So today didn't seem to be any different.  She woke up a little earlier than I did and was sitting at her laptop when I came downstairs.  I went in to say good morning and give her a little hug and a kiss and I got a grunt.

When I asked her to come in and eat her breakfast she did, but I could tell from her body language that it was against her better judgement.  I had to remind her to take bites all through breakfast.  It was getting close to the time that she needed to get dressed and she still had several bites to go.

We went upstairs to get her dressed.  She was very annoyed through the entire process.  Then came the time when I wash her glasses and they were not on the counter in her bathroom like they usually are.  I went in to her bedroom and looked on her dresser.  Then I asked her if she knew where her glasses were.  Her hands immediately flew up to her eyes and then she said "EYES!"   

I said "I know they are not on your eyes.  I can't find them.  Do you know where they are?"  A question like that - that specific question - never gets a good response.

I went downstairs and looked at the desk where she spends most of her time.  I didn't see them so I went back upstairs and looked in all the same places again, even though I had already looked there and knew full well that they were not there.

By this point Haley was a mess.  She was angry.  She kept touching her eyes and screaming "GLASSES!"

I followed her downstairs saying "You will just have to go to school without your glasses today."

She sat down in the chair at the desk with her laptop on it in a very huffy mood.  I started sorting through the piles of doll clothes, horses and matchbox cars that were strewn all over the floor under the desk.  She said "Glass!"

I said "I know Haley, but I don't know where they are!"

She bent over and reached under the desk on the opposite side of the chair that I was on and then turned and handed me her glasses.

I said "Thank you for getting me your glasses." 

Then I walked in to the kitchen and washed them.  I handed them back to her and she put them on.  All the while she was making the growling (?) groaning (?) moaning (?) bitching under her breath sound.

So when the bus came, I was happy to put her on it.



~ Haley's Mom

I am participating in 31 for 21 Blog Challenge this month. The challenge I have accepted is to blog every day in October to raise awareness for Down Syndrome. Learn more about Down Syndrome at the National Association of Down Syndrome.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...