Tuesday, October 2, 2012

On Her Own

This weekend my husband and I were invited to a wedding.  It was being held closer to his parents house than ours so we asked them if the girls could stay with them and we planned to stay at a hotel near the venue.

Everything was fine until the day before we were going to leave.

I got home from work and Haley's Big Sis asked if she could stay home.  She said it was because she didn't want to miss school, the wedding was on Sunday so we were not planning to be home until Monday night.  She laid out her plan and it was a good one.  I wasn't completely comfortable with the idea, but she had already convinced her father, so I agreed.  I told her that I would miss her and she reminded me that the time was nearing that I would have to get used to the idea of her not being around.  College.  That is a subject for another day.

My other concern was how Haley would do at Grandma and Grandpa's by herself. Haley's Dad and Big Sis were convinced that she would be fine.

We decided to tell Haley our plans so that we could pack.  She was very excited.  

The next day when we left our house, she didn't even seem to miss her sister.  

We arrived at Grandma and Grandpa's just before lunch time.  We spent the night there and then after lunch the next day I explained to Haley that her Dad and I would be leaving and that she was going to stay with her grandparents.

She seemed to take it in stride.


The next day we returned just as Haley was about to go on a tractor ride with her Grandpa.  We found out that while we were gone Grandpa spent most of the time out in their yard working, they are getting a new septic system.  There was so much dust that Haley and her Grandma just watched from the inside, so her tractor ride had been delayed.  

The reports were all good.    

The only issue was that during dinner the night before Haley's Grandpa sat right next to Haley.  He usually sits at the opposite end of the table from her.  Apparently Haley didn't eat much.  She really likes her Grandpa, but for some reason he make her really nervous.  I don't know if that is the right word.  She gets silly around him, she is very shy, but she is also kind of giddy.  As it turned out they couldn't get her to eat.  She made up for it the next day though.  She ate two bowls of cereal - while he sat at the end of the table again - and once we were home her appetite took over and she had three helpings of dinner.

Haley seemed to be completely at home with Grandma and Grandpa and I think that if we decided to leave her there permanently she would be fine with that.

~ Haley's Mom

I am participating in 31 for 21 Blog Challenge this month.  The challenge I have accepted is to blog every day in October to raise awareness for Down Syndrome.  Learn more about Down Syndrome at the National Association of Down Syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...