Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Out of Left Field

I never know what might set Haley off.  

Tonight everything was fine.  She had been just as happy as can be all afternoon.  Her Big Sis was impressed that she was up on current affairs because she was watching the footage of the guy that broke the sound barrier falling to earth.  I don't know how she found the footage, but she was watching it.

When dinner was ready I called everyone to the table.  Haley walked in to the living room and went to the cupboard where we keep our videos.  She chose a VHS tape and put it in to the machine.  She was just walking to the table when I looked up an saw that the TV remote was on the bar table behind her.  

I said "Haley, can you hand me the remote?  It is on the table behind you."

She screamed and threw herself on the floor.

She proceeded to throw a thorough fit.  I asked her to join us at the table.  I asked her to stand up.  I asked her if she wanted to eat dinner.  

She screamed "EAT!"  

I said "Get up then and sit at the table.  Dinner is ready."

I tried several things to get her to get up.  Everything I said just made her scream and kick more.  Her sister came in to the kitchen and sat at the table.  She watched Haley continue her fit.  I tried to reason with her.  It just wasn't happening.  I had to go to my hand bell practice so I got up and went upstairs to brush my teeth.

When I came back down she was wandering through the house crying.

I sat her back down at the table.

She continued to scream and yell.  I tried in vain to reason with her some more.  Finally I gave up and left her Dad and her sister to help her.  I guess her Big Sis did try to talk to her, but she couldn't get through to her either.  She left the table and her Dad got up to wash the dishes.  After a while Haley got up and got a tissue and blew her nose.  Then she decided that she should eat.  She ate two bowls of soup.

By the time I got home from hand bell practice she was fine.  

I really have no idea what that was about.  And I guess I never will.


~ Haley's Mom


I am participating in 31 for 21 Blog Challenge this month. The challenge I have accepted is to blog every day in October to raise awareness for Down Syndrome. Learn more about Down Syndrome at the National Association of Down Syndrome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...